Google Analytics

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Book of Bright Ideas by Sandra King

Overview:

Friendship. Sisterhood. Secrets. For two girls, an incredible journey is about to begin…
Wisconsin, 1961. Evelyn “Button” Peters is nine the summer Winnalee and her fiery-spirited older sister, Freeda, blow into her small town–and from the moment she sees them, Button knows this will be a summer unlike any other.
Much to her mother’s dismay, Button is fascinated by the Malone sisters, especially Winnalee, a feisty scrap of a thing who carries around a shiny silver urn containing her mother’s ashes and a tome she calls “The Book of Bright Ideas.” It is here, Winnalee tells Button, that she records everything she learns: her answers to the mysteries of life. But sometimes those mysteries conceal a truth better left buried. And when a devastating secret is suddenly revealed, dividing loyalties and uprooting lives, no one–from Winnalee and her sister to Button and her family–will ever be the same.

_______________________________________________________________

Amy's Review:


I liked this book.  I had to push myself to read it.  I was hard to get into but I was curious as to why she carried around the book.  Towards the end an explanation is given as to why.  I was also intriqued by her sister and why she was the way she was.  Towards the end it explains that as well.  As for the mother that the two girls ran away from, I can't see how she can could turn a blind eye to what was going on right in front of her nose practically right before her eyes.  The ending of the book is fitting for the two girls.  I liked what the older sister did for one of the local ladies as far as helping her with her hair and makeup and making her feel like a woman again.  Seemed to me she wasn't so mean to her daughter after that.  I would recommend this book to others.  It wasn't a page turner for me but it kept my curiosity enough to keep reading to see what was going to happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment